Monday, April 8, 2013

The Adventure North in Dora the Explorer


Wednesday Day 4

Big Sky Country
Up and out of the truck stop early in hopes of arriving in Seattle by Friday afternoon. We will have a weekend to rest at the halfway point and drink some wine with friends before beginning the finally leg of our journey north. The route seems a bit confusing - from South Dakota through a small portion of Wyoming and then on into the Big Sky country of Montana. Interesting, my GPS connects me to I-90 then takes me to Highway 212 for two hundred miles, and then connects me back to I-90 all the way to Seattle – apparently the shortest distance. I point Dora west and we are off. We are still 1,200 miles out, but with two good days of steady driving we might even make Seattle by late Thursday evening – in my dreams.

We take the exit off of I-90 west and find Belle Fourche, South Dakota and 212 North (the BearTooth Highway) toward Wyoming. I can’t help but wonder about this road. It has two-lanes, is remote and appears to cut through the Reservation. We are in and out of Wyoming in a flash and the sign reads: Welcome to Montana, speed limit 75 MPH. The good news is there is little traffic so we can exceed the limit and make good time through the curves. I am in awe of the snow-capped mountains and feel the weight of the world lift off my shoulders. I am West and once again feel as if this is where I belong. Gone are the flatlands of the Prairie and non-stop winds, replaced by the big sky country that Montana is appropriately referred to. We are cruising, we are happy, and we are smiling. But then, well. . . things change.

We are climbing a steep incline reaching 6,500 feet near the Continental Divide when Dora’s cruise control lurches us forward abruptly and stops. By that I mean, she is in Drive but we were no longer moving forward. The gas pedal is gunning the engine but nothing is happening. What the hell? OMG, no cell service on this road and not many towns either. I am twenty miles from the next little community according to the road sign. I tell myself to not panic, that it is just a little glitch along our way and things will be fine. I downshift to second gear and like magic the gears engage – thank goodness. Maybe the gears were stuck I reasoned. I turn off the cruise control deciding it will stay off until we reach flatter ground. As we move forward I put the gear back into Drive but once again it slips out. So be it, I will drive in second gear to the next town and hopefully see a mechanic. We adjust our speed to 40-45 MPG and creep forward at what seems like a snail’s pace after cruising at 80 all morning.

We finally come to a small-unnamed community with a few stores.  Obviously there is no gas station anywhere near let alone a garage, so I pull off the road in front of the local Hardware Store. A man saunters over and introduces himself as “Shane,” like the movie he said, and wonders if he might have a look. I told him I thought Dora might need some transmission fluid. He checks and said the dipstick indicates it is full. He put the end of the dipstick up to my nose and it smells burnt. I didn’t ask what that could mean because I really didn’t want to hear the answer. My intuition told me it might not be a good thing.  Shane proceeds to give me a lecture about finding someone honest to have a look at the van; he is concerned that as a woman I might get ripped off if not careful. He wonders if I could take him to the next town where we will maybe have cell service and he can call a buddy that is a mechanic for advice. Well okay, I thought. The guy seems genuine.

And so it were. . . on a back road route headed west from Wyoming with no cell service and few towns, I pick up a guy that turns out to be an ex-con that had found the Lord, but was currently searching for a ride to the post office to pick up his unemployment check in a town called Lame Deer. Apparently there would be cell service there and he could call his friend a mechanic, for advice.

On the road Shane continues to expound about his religious beliefs while I continue to appear interested all the time wondering: 20 miles at 40 MPH – how long will it take to reach Lame Deer? He casually mentions that he had “done it all, including serving time.” That got my attention. “Really, like how much time?” I didn’t ask what for because at this point why bother? He admitted about seven years including jail and penitentiary time, but I really wasn’t all that concerned.  This man did not activate my internal antenna so I had no reason to be fearful. Although, his admission was indeed a shock particularly since we were someplace in Montana on BearTooth Highway #212 where cell phones did not work and people were few and far between.

We finally arrive in the small town called Lame Deer and there are still no bars on my cell phone. He told me where to park the van, and how to do it. Satisfied he opened the door and said: “I’m going inside to see a friend and use his land line to call my mechanic buddy to get you some advice. Don’t leave,” were his instructions. While I waited I asked a guy in the parking lot what he thought about Dora’s symptoms just as Shane came out of the office and said: “don’t confuse the issue by asking him, I have the information you need” waving a piece of paper in the air.

We return to Dora and he asked me to take him to the Post Office and told me how to drive there – terrible backseat driver, constantly telling me how to drive and where to go. Oh well, I keep smiling and Zippy licks his face every chance she gets. We find the Post Office where he retrieves his unemployment check and then directs me to a bank so he can cash it. He gives me the piece of paper with a name and a phone number in Billings, another 108 miles away. Shane said Brown’s Transmission would take care of me, they were honest and his father used them back in the 60’s. We had already called them and explained my situation. We shook hands, he wished us luck and we were out of there – alive, safe and well. You just never know who you might meet if you're open to an adventure. 

At 2:30 PM a van called Dora filled with six dogs and a blonde continues to head northwest in search of Billings, Montana at 40 MPH. We will barely make it before 5:30 closing time at the garage. We are still hoping for a minor problem in the transmission. We make Billings at 5:15, find Brown’s Transmission and schedule an appointment for the following morning at 7:00 AM. I explain my problem saying it was probably something simple but the look on the mechanic’s face told me it probably wasn’t. He merely said they would hook Dora up to the machines for an evaluation in the morning.

Motel 6
We find an incredibly busy truck stop in the middle of town and it is chaos, noisy and crowded. Since we’ve had a long day it is time to get out of Dora for while so we opt for Motel 6, where dogs are welcome. Checking in I tell the desk guy that we have a minor transmission problem and another guy in the lobby interjected something like: there is no such thing as a minor transmission problem, ANY transmission problem will cost big bucks. Comforting. . .

I need some wine.

Room #114

We are safe in Room #114 at Motel 6 on the outskirts of Billings, Montana where five dogs and I share a bed and DoDog has a bed of her own. It’s Wednesday, it’s late and we only covered about three hundred miles today, which means Seattle is still another 900 miles northwest and Dora is sick and we are hoping for a miracle at this point. 

Shit, shit double shit! MERDE as the French would shout! When will be on the road again?

To be continued. . . .

A Bed of My Own?

1 comment: