Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Adventure North in Dora the Explorer


Saturday, Sunday & Monday, Day 14, 15 & 16

DoDog rests her head on BunBun's butt
For the next two days we are content to rest with the family and spend some time in a real house, outside the van. Dora is ready to be off the road as well. The sun is shining and the snow is melting. Saturday is a glorious, laid back day of doing anything that does not involve getting in a car, like watching movies and eating nachos with a Corona light, something that was not possible last night!

Sunday is another beautiful, sunny day and the dogs enjoy a long walk through the neighborhood. I meet my bunkmate from the Unbelizeable Sailing Excursion for martinis and lunch at the Trout House. Something didn’t set well with my tummy, and it wasn’t the gin!  So, I spent the rest of the afternoon napping in hopes of not throwing up. It didn’t work - after three hours of sleep it was inevitable so I made it happen. After that I felt so much better it was euphoric! Ever since I did the vegan diet for a few weeks, eating beef is difficult. I keep thinking the French Dip Sandwich is what did me in, and I’m suppose to have a filet tomorrow night. That’s a big maybe at the moment.

Monday, Monday is the day to take care of some Anchorage business and meet a friend for dinner at the Club Paris, for the best steak in Alaska along with their famous Bloody Mary’s. It feels so good to be back in the usual foodie routine of eating and drinking life.  I told her my stomach couldn’t handle the spicy Mary’s and probably not the steak either. I might opt for seafood instead. After a Glenlevit on the rocks the words automatically flowed out of my mouth: “I’ll have the petite filet injected with blue cheese, a baked potato, and a salad with blue cheese dressing, please.” I cannot imagine going to the Club Paris and NOT ordering their famous filet. I will eat it slowly, chewing it thoroughly and hope it does not upset my stomach and have another Glenlevit to wash it down. As usual the steak was so tender you could actually cut it with a fork. Scrumptious! I’ve never had a better steak anywhere. I only eat half of the 8 oz. petite portion deciding to save the rest for tomorrow. And my stomach is just fine.

a dogpile
We parked in our friend’s driveway to camp for the night, knowing that this will be our last night on the road for a time. Tomorrow we will travel to Homer town and resume responsibility of Tails-By-The-Bay Dog Camp where a Boston Terrier named Otis, his side-kick a French Bulldog puppy called Sugar and a Belgium Terrier puppy named Gabby will greet us. They all sleep in the bed so tomorrow night will obviously be a nine-dog night.

But for now I will once again sleep in the Dora Explorer bed with a down comforter along side six canines that continue to hog the bed and snore, providing music to my ears and peaceful sleep. Stay tuned for the final 220 miles south to Homer, Alaska and a cottage called Footprints with a VW named VeVe under a pile of snow in the driveway. Life is good in the Greatland!

1 comment: