Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Adventure North in Dora the Explorer


Thursday, Day 12  

the open road
Another peaceful night, a full tank of gas, and six happy canines ready for their morning nap. We are once again on the road. This is getting repetitive; it’s the same drill for how many days? As few as possible is my motto. No need to sightsee, I have seen this road and terrain so many times; I could almost do it in my sleep. Speed and distance are the operative words here.

The sun is shining and the roads are still dry. I can’t believe it. I am actually warmer than I have been all winter in North Carolina. Something about the humid cold chills me to the bone! The first four hundred miles are easy, but then it gets a bit monotonousness. I begin to think of my reward for driving 650 miles today. Ah, the Airport Chalet in Whitehorse, a Glenlivet on the rocks and something yummy to eat. That’s it!

Sleeping dogs
We finally arrive after filling us with gas three times at the tune of (highest) $1.67/liter. So there is 4+ liters in a gallon so the price of gas here is? You do the math, I don’t want to know. We must get off this highway so the goal tomorrow is to get into Tok, Alaska another 500+ miles. But in the meantime I stop at the Airport Lounge and enter like the lounge lizard I really am.

“Do you have Internet?”
“ Yes.”
“ Do you have a table with a plug-in for my laptop?”
“Yes.”
“Can I get drinks and food in here?”
Another “YES.”

running with the Bisons
Sign me up. I have a blog to update! And so it was, for the next couple of hours I have Scotch on the Rocks, which incidentally is 2-for-1 because it is ladies night! Imagine that. Never mind how many, it’s not that important! I then order a glass of Cab with my dinner. A French Dip sandwich that isn’t all that great because well, it is microwaved beef. I can always tell by the temperature and the texture, UGH. But the drinks are obviously good, the blog is updated and I am happy because I can still walk.

morning nap
I return to the van for another night of comfortable (well sort of) sleep. The dogs prefer to hog the bed and it’s hard to stretch out unless I get aggressive about it and then I feel bad. After all they didn’t have the luxury of hanging out in the lounge and having cocktails (how many?) for a couple hours, so I will put up with them stretching across the bed while I curl up in my postage stamp spot. But don’t think about taking all the covers! What’s a dog lover to do, anyhow?

another herd
Tomorrow we will be out of Canada after only two nights on the Alaska Highway and three nights in total from Woodinville, WA. This has to be a record. As I muse about the driving it occurs to me that I am done with this long-ass trip. I want to fly out next time and buy a car wherever I go. I will miss the Adventures with Dora but hey, all things are subject to change. After all she just might enjoy her Golden Years in a more relaxed fashion in town with an occasional camping trip in the Greatland.

Dora, Dora! The Explorer
Or, she might enjoy being a Glamping alternative for a time. What does the new buzzword Glamping mean? It’s a combination of glamorous and camping, one-step up from tent camping but without the hassle and expense of an RV. It can really mean whatever you want it to mean. With her surround sound, comfy bed with a down comforter and lots of pillows, a VCR that plays old movies, a corkscrew and bottle of wine waiting – Dora is the perfect alternative to tent camping, and so much more comfortable. Plus she has the wheels to move you around. The girl just might be on the market this summer for anyone wanting a cozy place to sleep in Homer after a hard day halibut fishing on Kachemak Bay. Dora, Dora the Explorer will show you a truly fine time! After all, she now has a heart of Gold - I have the debit card slip to prove it!




No comments:

Post a Comment