Friday, April 19, 2013

The Adventure North in Dora the Explorer - The Final Chapter


Tuesday, Day 17.

Happy to be home smile :) 
A blonde wanderlust with the pack of amazing canines has returned to a cottage called Footprints in Homer, Alaska. Day 17, the final leg of the trip is short with only 220 miles added to Dora’s odometer. The dogs barely had enough time to settle in for their mid-morning nap when we pulled into our snow-crunchy, yet somewhat melted, driveway.

We were not expected home until 3:00 PM so we meandered around Anchorage for the better part of the morning having coffee at Kaladi Brothers on Brayton Drive and catching up on emails and writings. Gas is needed for Dora and it is nice to see the prices have decreased dramatically from what we have grown accustomed to in just four short days – from $7/gallon to $3.89!

View from the Couch
Lunch sounds like a good plan before hitting the road and one of my favorite burger joints is just up the road – the Arctic Roadrunner! They have been in business for 50+ years and offer Cheeseburgers beyond belief. Since it appears beef is once again okay with my system I order one for the road, fries and of course a Diet Coke. The aroma in Dora wakes the dogs and they assume the position of begging for a scrap, or at least a fry. The sun is shining and the open road is calling us home. One of the most scenic rides in the Universe is ahead.

I reflect on our time driving from Hendersonville, NC to Homer, Alaska and am grateful for the amazing adventure, albeit longer than anticipated. The Universe is telling me that this particular trip is probably best on the back burner for a few years, maybe even forever. I have counted these miles off at least nineteen times over the past 25 years, and feel like that is more than enough for one lifetime. An airplane ride to Seattle with a VW waiting for us sounds like a more relaxing, economical plan for the future.

the view
As we drop over Baycrest Hill I am once again in awe of the sheer beauty of the landscape that is so embedded in my soul. The blue/green waters of Kachemak Bay with the snow-capped mountains jutting out of the water, is breathtaking. I am blessed to live in this unique community. Although I complain about the long winters, the snow, and the darkness in this captivating place, I can’t stay away. Like the womb Homer has sucked me in and swallowed me up. I am safe here and leaving permanently is not possible. Homer is Home and no matter where I travel or how long I stay, she is always here waiting for me with open arms.

Footprints with VeVe in Foreground Snowpile
It’s perfect to be Home for a time. We are greeted by Gabby, a Belgium Terrier Puppy; Sugar, a French Bulldog Puppy; and Otis, a Boston Terrier that is happy to not be in Boston at the moment. The cottage is immaculate and fresh lilies adorn the table. We don’t have to do anything more today but soak it up and relax. Dora is snoozing in the driveway and the dogs and I are thinking about a nap by the woodstove where the sun is streaming in the windows.

Welcome Home Lilies!
The Journey North in Dora the Explorer has come to a peaceful end. We are here until the wanderlust once again takes over and leads us to another foreign place. I have accepted this life in motion. Whatever and whyever it is - this need to be moving, experiencing, and questioning, it’s okay. I am happy to go with the flow of my destiny as long as my four-legged friends are with me on the journey.

Namasté

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful ending....I am glad that I live in your home town.....I know your wanderlust will tickle you again.....
    Welcome home.....and enjoy the sun......

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete