Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Adventure North in Dora the Explorer



Saturday, Sunday and Monday - Day 7, 8 and 9. 

  My Sidekick
Dora, Dora the Explorer, you ROCK! Somewhere off I-90 at a truck stop near Missoula, MT. Dora waits for her passengers to get ready for the Marathon Run to Seattle. She is so ready and is determined to get us there. 6:30 AM and we are off.

In hindsight I must admit, I suspected a transmission problem way back in October. I even put fluid in once because I thought it was slipping. But now she is fixed and ready to continue our trek north. I point her nose northwest and we are off! Seattle is in our horizons but first we pass through Idaho. The mountains are beautiful and I am so home. I can feel it. The Pacific Northwest, there is no place more perfect.

We cruise into Washington and the fields are so green that it hurts my eyes. Spring is here with wildflowers galore and green grass, the first I have seen since leaving North Carolina. We slide into familiar Woodinville around 3:30 PM and head straight for the pipeline trail along the horse corrals. The dogs love it and remember, all except Bunny & Anne, this is their first trip. Back to the house of the Woodinville connection – a couple of free spirits much like myself. It’s been too long, having wine and remembering when my last visit was in 2009. They have a birthday party to go to and so do I. After feeding the dogs and a quick shower I am off to Daniel’s Broiler on Lake Union, downtown Seattle. Yahooo! Back with my girlfriends for a truly fine dinner and drinks out – a night of “girls gone wild.” Something that is so lacking where I have been. The only experience I had this winter was with an Alaskan that came to visit me in Hendersonville. We ate and drank because well, we are foodies. After she left I was lucky to find someone to have a cup of soup and water with. It’s just not a priority to eat and drink out as much as I am used to. Of course I did it on my own because I got tired of the Thai special for $5.95 – it’s all about the bargain in North Carolina and I am so accustomed to living Large.

Welcome to Idaho
Daniel’s was a wonderful time. I was able to sneak up on my friend from behind who never in a million years expected to see this face on her 50th! So much fun, and the tab? Well it was $400+. But we had a generous boyfriend that supplied us with four one hundred dollar bills so all we had to leave was the tip. OMG life is good and I have missed it! My buddies are staying at a hotel in downtown Seattle and have a taxi. Am I okay to drive? Oh sure, no worries. I head out and get onto I5 North and exit 522 east and then, well: Where am I became the question?

Nothing is familiar. I told myself if I continue to head north and/or east I will eventually find something that I recognize or if not? Well, I can always park and sleep in Dora. The dogs are absolutely no help, they are sound to sleep and no one rallies as I continue to ask them what they think? Finally, I realize where I am and make it home without incident. I should have been on 520, not 522 so there lies the confusion. I manage to drive through the many towns leading north, and of course eventually find something I recognize. I can be so blonde after a couple glasses of red wine. . .

Bunny rests on Anne
For the next three days we rest, hike the pipeline trail, have lunch at the Maltby Café in well, Maltby, the dogs play with kids (did I mention how much Anne LUVS kids), we have a family dinner, eat more, drink more, and have another lunch at Wild Fin’s in Issaquah. In just a couple days I have so much fun! I am sorry to say goodbye and hit the road but I will return next fall. The dogs and I just had too much fun to stop here.

Tomorrow, we are off to Alaska in Dora the true Explorer!


1 comment:

  1. Karen,

    I had to laugh when you got 522 vs 520.....Its so different one has a bridge and the other is in the country.....or what was when I was a kid. I am glad you got to party with wonderful friends.....

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete