Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Being Blonde . . . In The Desert?


As we connect to Mexico Highway #1 out of Los Barriles the cool air tickles the senses as the ocean breeze blows through Toyota Lander. We had one final beach walk (swim for Brody), and a small care cooler was delivered by our dear friend who thinks of everything. Sautéed chicken, goat cheese, salmon spread, boiled eggs and crackers—our snacks for the road. Mucho gracias!

Glancing in the rear view mirror as we begin our long drive north, I reflect on all the wonderful people we have met. Here are just a few. The local veterinarian that was willing to share his cases with me each time I stopped by and asked questions, explaining everything so well. We thought BunBun may have contacted kennel cough so he prescribed some cough medicine and honey for her food. In hindsight it was only the desert dust causing her to gag and occasionally cough. 

Luis at the clinic, who graciously gave me Vitamin B shots every day for 6 days with a smile on his face, always asking how I was feeling. And let’s not forget the doctor that initially treated me with a sense of calmness that helped me breathe deep and not panic, and the clinic staff that put up with me coming in the back door each day with a Hola, Buenos Dias and Como Estas—the extent of my Spanish. 


Wednesday night open mic at La Fogata was always a treat. So many talented musicians. 

The lovely ladies at the nail spa that did several repairs on a nail that was breaking deep into the quick. They were able to save it for several days so it could grow out. When it finally did come off it was not painful. And, they refused any pesos for doing it. 

And the horseback riders and stable staff that accommodated my lack of riding experience and short legs! Mucho gracias, to all of you!  

Also a special thanks to all the expats we met that shared a piece of their Los Barriles life with us. As I think back on this incredible month I realize how much I will miss the lifestyle and the people. In some small way we have connected here, and leaving is bittersweet. We are lost in thought, filled with a sense of peace, contentment and euphoria. And far from being in the present moment.

Introspective times like this is when I can be so blonde. Arriving to the first town with a Pemex station I notice that I have half a tank of gas but it doesn’t occur to me to fill up. I’m still reminiscing as I head into the desert mountains. As the road curves around and gets steeper by the mile, I decide to find out how far it is to the next gas station. Siri said it was 29 miles. No problem, we got this. 

As we continue on the landscape becomes more and more curvy and remote, and cell service is sketchy at best. I wanted to confirm the distance so I asked Siri once again how far it is to the petrol station and this time she said 49 miles! WTH? Maybe I should map it (brilliant idea), and guess what? The gas station is behind us!  OMG, cell service is completely out now as I quickly make a U-Turn on a steep curve  hoping that an 18-wheeler does not come barreling around the bend.  In a flash I was once again headed south! Running out of gas in the desert would not be a good thing. Backtracking added a 100 miles to our day, but it’s OK. Mexico can be like the Alaska Highway used to be—miles and miles and miles with no gas. I vowed not to make this mistake again!  


Back on Highway #1 N with a full tank of gas, destination tonight San Ignacio, with a reservation at The Rice & Bean Motel where all dogs are welcome! We will add Los Barriles to our memory bank of adventures and anxiously await our return to this small slice of paradise. 

Hasta Luego Amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment