Monday, March 25, 2019

Horsin’ Around


Getting back on the horse, so to speak . . .


Ghost Riders on the Beach

Spring equinox horseback riding on the beach waiting for the full moon. I read about it and knew I wanted to do it. What a concept on a beautiful night. There was no better way to welcome spring than a warm ocean breeze, a white sand beach, a majestic horse, and a full moon over Baja California Sur. We met up at the stables and were taken by car about 10 miles down the beach where the horses stood waiting. I have ridden many times, but would not consider myself an experienced rider so I opted for one of the slower guys, Compadre. I spoke with him before getting up onto the saddle and knew he was a gentle soul.

Compadre & Me
As we began our trek down the beach it was obvious he had no desire to hurry and neither did I, as we sauntered along the magnificent seacoast We were often close to the last rider, with only one slower horse behind us that was literally asleep on his feet with his tongue lobbing out to the side. The horses do these treks so often they can obviously do it sleepwalking. I had the reins and pulled Compadre toward the right so we could get closer to the waves. He complied but didn’t seem thrilled about the new route. He preferred to do it his way so I relented. By this time the horse behind was awake and got ahead of us. The sun was going down, the beach was beautiful and the sky was full of stars. The full moon would be coming up soon. We passed people on the beach but the community areas were quiet with not much activity. We were going so slow that I had no need to hold the reins, but instead held onto the saddle horn (first mistake). There were people near the beach but not close to us. It was a glorious ride.


Until . . . it wasn't. And all hell broke loose in an instant.

Compadre heard or saw something that I didn’t, and got spooked. He reared his head up and stepped sideways to the left leaving me behind on the sand, struggling to breathe. In an instant, another face plant but this time there was no tequila involved (Gaslight District, San Diego). He immediately stopped when he realized I had fallen off. If I had held onto the reins this could have been avoided. It was a total shock and I was immediately out of control trying to figure out what was happening. This resulted in a trip to urgent care for X-rays as I struggled to breathe, walk and get into a car. The right side of my back was throbbing and my breathing was shallow causing some dizziness, along with the aching in the right side of my head and face, and my knees. Fortunately one of the riders was a nurse. Once it was determined I was coherent and my neck was okay, I was helped up to rest on a ledge before being guided to the car for transport.

At the clinic I was finally able to inhale deeply. X-rays showed nothing broken, only bruising and the side of my face/head and knees were sand-burned and sore. The medical care was impressive. They gave me anti-inflammatory meds, a shot for pain (non-narcotic) and they sent me home with Vitamin B shots to be given to myself once a day! Should I faint now or wait until I stick the needle in my butt, no less? The doctor saw the distress on my face and told me to come back once a day and they would do it, no argument there! I have no clue how to give myself a shot and am not interested in learning.

The Mexican people were so incredibly helpful and genuine. The stable owners wife never left my side and paid for everything. The doctor gave me strict instructions to rest for the next few days saying I would be really sore. But it didn’t happened! I am astounded at how quickly I healed. The following morning I was already better, and two days later it’s almost like it never happened. I’m sure it has to do with the vitamin shots. When I first arrived in Baja I hit my knee on a bedpost and was bruised for almost 3 weeks. In only a few days the bruising on my knees and face has faded considerably and the ribs are back to normal. I can’t explain it, because when it happened I felt sure I had seriously injured myself. I am so grateful to heal this quickly and thank my lucky stars. That little angel that rides on my shoulder was definitely with me. My spirit guides are always out there watching over me. 

So what happened to Compadre that spooked him so badly? I decided to go see him to let him know I was okay. I’m sure he was very frightened that night, and since all the attention was on me he was left not knowing. He needed to know. I drove to the stables and told Betto (owner) I wanted to see Compadre. I walked up to him, stroked the side of his incredibly soft snout,  and assured him I was okay; that I knew he didn’t mean to hurt me. He immediately nuzzled his nose into my chest, pushing against me ever so slightly. I stood with him for some time and we connected; he understood. 


I could be just as crazy about horses as I am dogs, if only I had a place for one. So whenever I get an opportunity to go on a horseback ride, I take it. Horses are spiritual creatures with a deep connection to humans. They are magical animals. Their intuitiveness and their relationship with us is profound. They are often used in healing therapies. The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation through the Way of the Horse is an incredible book written by a Linda Kohanov. She rescues abused horses and works with abused women. In the initial therapy session she puts horses in a ring with abused victims and the horses choose who they want to work with. Invariably the most abused horse will choose the most abused woman. 


I have another date with Compadre, a morning beach ride. What a beautiful way to end our time in Baja California Sur, connecting with this majestic creature. Getting back on the horse, so to speak—but this time I will hang on to the reins.

No comments:

Post a Comment