Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Unbelizeable - The Adventure Beyond Ordinary. Follow the tales of seven tipsy sailors and a Captain called Slime as they cruise the Caribbean for seven amazing days.

Day 2. The streets remain lively outside our hotel room most of the night. My bed is next to the sliding glass door that I opened for fresh air. I woke up from the feel of a lovely cooling mist on my face. That mist was actually rain that had cooled the temperatures to a balmy 82 degrees vs. the 88 when I arrived. It feels divine.


By 8:30 AM I am off in search of the yoga studio listed online. Rather than walk the beach I decide to meander through the city of San Pedro, a 30-minute walk. The studio has an incredible view of the beach, and ceiling fans. The practice began and I was immediately sweating and wondering how I would survive an hour and forty-five minutes of the humid heat. The instructor finally asked if anyone wanted the air conditioning turned on and my hand immediately shot up! I can now finish without a struggle.

Later I met up with the other two sailors and Captain Slime to shop for provisions. We found a place called Caye Mart – with the big K in the corner, where we could get the basics. The Captain and his Sea Wench had the menu laid out for seven days on the water complete with a comprehensive shopping list. Obviously they have done this before. Shopping for eight people can be a bit overwhelming but we manage to get what we need from Caye Mart, the butcher for the meat, a bakery for the bread and a produce stand for fresh vegetables. We continued to a liquor store to buy a bottle of wine for Captain’s specialty dish – Spaghetti with Clam Sauce.

The wine was expensive because well it’s all imported. A bottle that costs $15 at home was priced at 68 Belizean dollars or $33. Forget drinking wine for the hell of it, we’re on to the hard stuff: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Coconut Rum, Tequila and Whiskey – much more cost-effective. After a morning of shopping it is time for lunch and a panty ripper or two at the hotel bar.  The ripper ended up being a Belikin, the local beer that would quickly become a favorite of the crew.

The remaining four happy sailors arrived early evening to join us for cocktails. The Toucan crew was now complete and ready for a meal at Elvies Restaurant, recommended by the Captain. It was indeed incredible. The daily special was grilled snapper and conch soup. Nom, Nom, double Nom!

Tomorrow the guys will meet with Simon from TMM Charters and get checked out on the 48’ catamaran that will be home for the next seven days. One more night in our hotel and then tomorrow we set sail out of San Pedro harbor, destination Caye Caulker, our first stop. I can't stop smilin'! 

1 comment:

  1. I love Conch soup! The Belizians really know how to cook that shell fish.....Dont eat the fried conch, I got terribly sick....the soups and stews with conch is divine......
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete